Tick tock

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday 23 February 2011

Because Who Turns Up Punctual?

Lateness must be in our blood. Or at least part of our culture. Except for a first day, perhaps, because you will attract just too much attention if you come late on the first day, and it is again part of our culture to strive to be invisible. During days after that things go slack and it is unavoidable to think "Who in the world turns up on the right minute anyway?"

Honestly it is shameful to be late. OK maybe I'm alone in thinking it is. Seriously it doesn't prove anything good. Frankly speaking however I know how awkward you would feel when you are there at the right time. Being at least five minutes late is the right, preferable and acceptable thing to do, and you won't feel out of place then. The VVIPs are also one with the urgent need to be late - they would be considered early if they come within thirty minutes after the scheduled time. Who wants that, hey hey? Who wants to be regarded as the person who doesn't have anything else to do, that they managed excellently to plan their time and settle everything - including preparations and travel time - so that they could arrive on the spot?
Let me tell you a story that happened in 2009. My class had a function, at which we invited the Director of the Goethe-Institut Malaysia. We told him the event will start at 2.30 in the afternoon, so it was on the invitation cards and the flyers. When he came (which was exactly at 2.30pm), only two out of fifteen of us organizers were ready (the rest are still at the hostel) and there was not a single audience in the auditorium. Faces of the lecturers were already scrunched up because of some sour limes they ate earlier ( ok joke is not funny) and I hated it so much because suddenly I had to be the usher, when I was actually busy setting the computer up for the later presentation.

Homaii now I sound like a perasan goody who is never late. Well, I said I am familiar with the awkwardness of being an early bird - which actually is the reason why I dawdle and come late, too.



P/S: Be good and ignore the roses I use for my background. I had no idea why I chose this lady-ish picture in the first place and don't want to look for another now.
P/P/S: I am taking Fundamentals of English at school and (no, we don't learn how to say Good Morning like I first thought we would) was struck to learn that I have been using the perfects and progressives wrongly all this while. Must study it for the tests, however, but always end up filling in the blanks according to what I think - ikut sedap je :)

No comments:

Hallo zusammen!

 1. 2022 ist mein achtes Jahr in als Lehrerin in Mersing. 2. Ich bin gerade mit meinem 2. Kind schwanger. 3. Mein erstes Kind ist 3 Jahre al...